Thursday, March 10, 2016

Project 52 - Spring Weather - Week 10

10/52

I can't believe it's March already - this winter seemed to go by so much faster than last year. Perhaps it's because it was also milder. No complaining here, except that we didn't do a lot of winter activities like sledding (twice) or ice skating (none, unless you count walking on ice in our boots). I guess we'll have to wait until next year because I'm pretty sure the heavy winter weather is gone.

This past Saturday we went to the Free First Saturday at the Walker for their Kid's Film Festival. I'm always cautious of going to free events because I think it's going to be nuts, crowded with people everywhere, but this wasn't that bad. We got there early enough to get a seat at the first showing and then left shortly afterwards. We enjoyed the film shorts and came home with a list of those from the previous year that we've been watching online. I'd highly recommend Home Sweet Home (among many others). They are suppose to have a Free First Saturday that focuses on photography so there's a good chance I'll check one of these events out again.

Riley and I also went to the library on Saturday where I picked up another Philippa Gregory book. I love a good historical fiction book and she does a great job bringing you back to Tudor times. I mentioned her to a co-worker and now there are a number of us at work talking about her books. Related: I've just finished watching The Tudors, am now watching The Borgias, and think I'll start on Reign after that. Next thing you know, I'll be wearing a opulent gown over my kirtle with contrasting sleeves and trying to decide between a French or English hood. Decisions, decisions...

While at the library I picked up some free magazines on senior housing. This is probably worthy of a longer post, but my 88 year old dad is thinking about moving to independent senior housing. Not now, but he's preparing for that. Not sure how I feel about that. I'd love to see my dad stay in his house, but it is getting a lot to manage. Plus, he's getting so he doesn't want to drive so he doesn't get to see his circle of friends as much. We'll see what happens - more to come on this, I'm sure.

Sunday we went to see Zootopia which was really good, but also had a scary part that we could have done without. Even I jumped out of my seat. Well ok, that doesn't mean much since I'm easily spooked, but trust me... it is scary for a kid. Even so, Riley loved the movie and is all things Zootopia now. Luckily, we already had a Zootopia book at home which we proceeded to read that night.

But first, when we got home from the movie, we decided to spend the last of the light outdoors. We hadn't spent a ton of time outside and it was a beautiful day so we needed to clock in some outside time for sure. I love that Riley is still so excited to play with chalk. I'll be super sad when the day comes (when she's like 15, right?) that she doesn't want to draw pictures on the sidewalk. She asked me to draw another obstacle course so I obliged. Our 'obstacle course' (I don't know what else to call it) includes things like needing to meow like a cat, sing, dance, hop, say yellow 5 times fast, walk in a circle, and so much more. And the neighborhood loves it too. I regularly see kids and adults do as the sidewalk orders as they walk in front of our house.








I'm so looking forward to many more of these days outside, painting the sidewalk with words and pictures and memories. And, if there is ever a time that she doesn't want to draw on the sidewalk (not possible, I'm sure), I'll always have these pictures to look back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to see your comments.