Saturday, December 10, 2011

More Christmas stuff

When I was a little girl my mom used to always take me to Dayton's department store's Christmas display. Each year they had a new holiday display that you would wander through to find Santa at the end. I have fond memories of this (except perhaps sitting on a scary man's lap) so I thought it would be fun to let Riley have this experience. Saturday we headed off to Macy's (formerly Dayton's) to see  "A Day in the Life of an Elf". We decided to skip seeing Santa since she just had the opportunity to last weekend (and we knew that she wasn't going to change her mind about sitting on his lap). I put her in a holiday themed outfit and off we went.


All ready to have some fun.


Riley especially liked this stage as there was a mouse that ran across the floor. As you can see the lady on her knees is trying to catch it with a basket.


At elf school.






When we got home I decided to sort through some old picture and found pictures of me at the holiday display when I was almost one. Wish I had seen them sooner as we might have actually used the flash in the display area to get a similar picture. Guess we can always go back!


It was a very brown Christmas in 1972. That's my sister, Karen, with the large white bag... standing in front of the giraffes.



It must have been an international Christmas as each of these pictures appears to have a different culture represented.  聖誕快樂


Ole!


Not sure what country this is supposed to represent.



Holland? And check out us ladies with our exposed legs in December. In Minnesota. Brrrr. My mom made us wear dresses all the time... even my sister who is about 12 years older than me. Karen was not a fan of this and was known to sneak clothes and makeup to school.

And does my diaper look humongous? I know I wore clothe diapers with a diaper cover, but it looks like someone needs a diaper change.



Poland?



Apparently, I'm trying to imitate the doll to my right. Also, this bear was in the Mexico picture as well. I wonder if the bear was in every scene. I don't know about you but when I see this bear I have visions of honey... not Christmas.



I'm pretty sure they frown on you placing your child in the display. No one probably thought twice about this as they looked through these pictures, but the rule keeper in me is reminded of it when I look at almost every one of these pictures. Yeah, I know... I need to loosen up.



This half dead potted plant makes you feel like you are in another country for sure.



When I first saw this one I thought it wasn't part of the series because of the rug. I was pretty sure that this was taken at someones house, but then I realized that this was fitting of the design caliber of this display. Plus, who would have 7 dolls in their living room? Oh, and each of the pictures in this series was numbered so I knew this had to be at Dayton's (all of the pictures here are in order, but there were about 5 pictures missing).


Someone is tired and ready to go home. But first, Santa...


My sister and my brother, Scott, accompany me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to see your comments.