Thursday, November 22, 2012

I'm Thankful for...

A few months ago I found myself submerged in negativity. Especially at work. Those who would know my recent workload would say that it would be totally understandable to feel that way, but I wasn't having it. I like to be positive. I like to look at the upside of life. And I certainly don't want to be the person who brings others down.

I was having an especially difficult day trying to dig myself out of a mood when I decided I to write down what I was grateful for and shared it with my team... and then encouraged my team to play along. In some ways I wanted to be held accountable to look at the good side of life again. Thus, started a weekly tradition of Grateful Fridays. Occasionally, we share pictures or fun facts, but at the core of it is to share what we are grateful for or something we are looking forward to. Right before my husband's birthday I shared how excited I was to celebrate his 'James Bond' themed birthday which resulted in a poll about who was the best James Bond (sadly half of my team has not seen a James Bond movie - what the heck?!).

At any rate, I am less negative, less stuck in those murky moments, and I can see how my child has even been in a better mood. That in itself is a winner. So, with my positive attitude back in place (or at least getting there) and Thanksgiving upon us I thought I would share some things I am grateful for this year.

My Family

My family comes in many forms: Immediate, adoptive, step, birth... and I am grateful to have them all in my life.

Coordinated for voting

My husband and daughter ensure that I laugh every single day. I couldn't have asked for a better family and it seems so long ago that I wondered if I would ever find the "right" guy and have a child of my own. I guess sometimes you just have to be patient.


These are just a few of my siblings. I have something like 15 of them - yeah, 15 siblings - and not one is a full blooded sibling. It's complicated. And my dad - what a guy. I know I've had a lot more stability in life for many years now, but that wasn't always true. But the one person I could always count on was my dad.



My birth family. Sometimes I just don't know what to do with such a big family. I don't always feel like I am able to give my all to everyone of them, but they always make me feel loved and welcome. You can't beat that.


I seriously have the best in-laws in the world. And it's a good thing I like hugs, because these people like to give them.

My Work


Yes, my work. Even though my job can be stressful and overwhelming it also gives me satisfaction. I get to strut my stuff in a way that I don't get to do at home. And I am rather lucky to work with the awesome team I do (including the 4 new fantastic people that just joined our team). Oh, and I have a job - I'm grateful for that alone when I know so many people do not have a job.

My Friends


I really do not spend enough time with my friends, but I know they are always there when needed. This past year I got to hang out with a couple friends that I haven't seen in years and it was so nice to reconnect. Plus, I am SO looking forward to a girls weekend in January with the biggest hearted, wackiest ladies I know (now just to figure out where to go).

My Health

I have a number of annoying health issues, and even though they seem to be becoming more and more apparent as I get older I also consider myself quite healthy. Plus, this year my husband and I started working out again. We decided to make our health a priority again and it feels good.

My Home


Sure, I love that I have a roof over my head, but love that I get to live in a house that I loved in as a child. I doubt I will be here forever, but for the time being it fits. And while most of my bad memories growing up were in another house some bad memories linger here too. I have to say it's a little healing to be creating new, good memories here.

My Cats

These two do not get the credit and love they deserve since Riley came into the picture, but they seem to go with the flow.


I'm quite grateful to still have Diablo around. When he was diagnosed with renal failure over four years ago we were told he had two months to two years to live, but he's still here. I know his time is limited and I am trying to make sure I don't take that for granted.


And Lucy? She often annoys me, but does SO well with Riley and for that I thank her.

 Random Acts of Kindness

I recently witnessed a woman stop to let an elderly gentleman pet her dog. It was really a simple, but meaningful gesture that was filled with such kindness and obviously brought joy to this man. These type of moments always bring me such faith in the world and is a good reminder to spread that kindness myself.

What are you thankful for this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to see your comments.