Monday, January 2, 2012

2011

I wasn't planning to post a 2011 year in review because not much happened. Oh sure, Riley did a lot of new things. Tons, in fact, but I didn't really want to do a year in review post that was all about her (what would I write about when she turns 2). I adore her and all, but it made me a little sad that there weren't more momentous things just for me, or for the hubby and I... or for us as a family. But when all was said and done I decided to do a post because it was a year filled with laughs and new experiences (even if they mostly revolved around kid's things). And even though there was one thing that I wish never happened it was a pretty fantastic year.


1. It was colic free! This was huge for all family members. And it turns out that she is am amazingly happy kid. Sure she had her fussy times (terrible two's here we come), but she's made up for the colic a hundred times over. Besides appreciating the value of sleep and sanity I'm just glad my baby girl isn't crying all the time.




2. Riley finally started sleeping through the night (and did a whole crapload of other amazing things). Wow, kids sure amaze me with how fast they pick up on things... from walking to talking to a million other things. We've also done a lot of things we don't normally do like going to the zoo, the children's museum, the indoor park... and had loads of fun.


Made her first trip out of state - to Wisconsin!

3. Jesse got to go on a 2 day camping/hiking trip on the North Shore of MN which he's been yearning to do for a long time. Ok, so he cut his trip short by a day (someone missed his family, and realized his body was older than he remembered). He used to go hiking a lot and when we started dating I joined in. One day we hope to bring Riley.


Unfortunately, the fall leaves report was wrong... most leaves had already fallen off.

4. I got to go on a girl's weekend to Bayfield, WI with my homegirls from high school. This was the first time I spent more than one overnight away from my kid. Sure, I missed her (and my husband), but I sure needed some girl friend time. Not only did I laugh ALL weekend, but I also got to learn some belly dancing moves, how to make sushi, and was led in a yoga session. Can't wait until the next girl's weekend.


Some of the most entertaining women I know.























5. Jesse's mom got cancer (which was awful), but she's now cancer free so we are super grateful about that (plus her family threw her an impressive benefit and bike run).

Cancer free and fabulous!

Participants of the bike run

6. We remodeled our kitchen (sure, it's not quite done, but it's close and I love it). Goodbye 1940's, hello 2000's.


We've done some more updates since this picture, but it's pretty close to what we're working with now.

7. We traded in our lemon car and got something I really like to drive... and feel safe in.



8. My dad (and step-mom) turned 83 (momentous since my mom died at 66). He still works harder than anyone I know and I am lucky to have him in my life.


With my step-mom and dad celebrating their birthdays in February which are 3 days apart.

9. Uncle Richie came to visit multiple times. Unfortunately, he was visiting so much because of his mom's diagnosis of cancer, but we were grateful to have family visit. Riley really digs him so that's an extra bonus.




I'm sure I could add more things to this list, but I thought I would just highlight a few moments. I can't wait to see what 2012 brings, but I know we plan to take Riley camping and see Jesse's brother and his family off as they move out of the country... just to name a couple things. It will surely be an interesting year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to see your comments.