Thursday, February 9, 2012

2 years

Dear Riley,

I can't believe it has already been two years since you came into our lives. So much has happened during that time and yet it has gone so fast.

0-3 months

During your first three months you struggled with colic. It was a painful experience and I wanted to do everything I could to make your world better. Regardless of how difficult it could be I knew you were a special little girl and I was grateful to be your mom.

3 - 6 months

Somewhere between 3 and 4 months you stopped crying. Well, you stopped the torturous crying. We started to see that you were a happy, delightful kid. Were you trying to make up for the first three months? I don't know and I don't care. I was just glad to see you no longer in pain.

6 - 9 months
Six months was truly my first favorite age for you (and then it turned out to be every month after that as well). It was about this time that your personality really started to come through and you became so responsive. Everyone warned me that once you started crawling that I would miss the days when you didn't, but that couldn't have been farther from the truth. I loved that you were becoming more mobile as each development was an amazement to me.

9 - 12 months
I didn't know it could get any cooler watching you develop, but then you started sitting up and really crawling (I will always miss that army crawl you had). You were always wanting to explore... I'm pretty sure our electricity bill skyrocketed between your 9th and 12th month as you ALWAYS wanted to be in the fridge.

12 - 15 months

One whole year! Even though you didn't fully start walking until about 15 months you were all over the place. I would often catch you taking steps when you thought we weren't watching and it instantly reminded me of myself. We were definitely starting to see more and more of our personalities coming out in you.

15 - 18 months

Oh my gosh, what a hambone you've become (but so is your dad). You make me laugh all the time whether it's the things you try to say, the things you do or your never ending facial expressions. It's been fun to see what you like and what you don't like. It makes me wonder what goes on in that head of yours.

18 - 21 months

You are certainly an outdoors type of girl. Any chance you had you'd want to be walking the sidewalk or playing at the park. Turns out we like the outdoors a lot too so you fit right in. You also love your books and really started embracing your ABC's and 123's at this age.

21 - 24 months

When I think back to even a couple months ago it amazes me how much you've changed. Your vocabulary grows by leaps and bounds every day. Often you surprise me with something I didn't think you'd know. You have certainly become more stubborn at this age, but I know it's because you want to be able to do things yourself and I suppose to assert your Independence.

I can't wait for what the future will bring. I might have started the journey a little late, but am so grateful that your dad and I have you. While I hope that I have been a good mother and taught you well you have also taught me so much about the value of patience, love, laughter, and kindness. Thank you for being the amazing little girl you are. I couldn't imagine my world without you.

Happy Birthday!


Love,

Mommy

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday to Riley! Love the photo collages- they are such a great way to see how she's grown!

    ReplyDelete

Love to see your comments.