Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Staycation days 1 - 3

Riley doesn't have daycare this week so I have taken most of the week off of work (with the exception of two half days). The weekend was much like other weekends except I knew I didn't have to go to work on Monday. Yay!


The big goal of the day was to get Riley a new pair of tennis shoes. Something durable and supportive for walking and especially for playing at the park. We found her a cute pair of Keen shoes. Sure, they are probably more than she needs and she'll probably outgrow them before she wears them out, but she sure looks like she's ready to go hiking with mom and dad.

After shoe shopping we went to buy tile. If you've read my last post about our kitchen remodel you would know that we already selected tile. However, it was not to be... we went to get some corner tiles only to discover it would almost double the price (and they were already spendy to begin with). So those tiles were returned and we went back to our original white subway tile idea. Now if we can just get them on the wall.


Sunday we went out to the farm with my dad. The farmhouse has an old pot belly stove that is in need of some repair as it apparently glows a little too red. I don't know about you, but I don't think that sounds very safe. My dad asked Jesse to help remove it and Riley and I decided to tag along. This was Riley's first official trip out of the state of Minnesota and she was a rock star pretty much all day long.

Where have you brought me?

My dad has owned the farm for 50 years (give or take). When he bought the property the house and one of the out buildings was much smaller... and the large barn and second outhouse didn't exist. There was no running water, furnace, or indoor toilet, but it was a great place to get away. In the winter he'd go to snowmobile; in the summer he'd farm or take the kids down to the Apple River (which is right down the road). My dad envisioned himself retiring there, but things don't always work out the way you anticipate.

At any rate we were there to dismantle a stove. I attempted to get some pictures before my dad got to the stove, but he was just too darn fast. I had to take a picture of the crown separately since he had already taken that off and was working on some bolts by the time I got inside.

A bit beat up, but I still think it's pretty.

Round Oak stoves were made from about 1871 to around World War II. Based on the information I found online I estimate this one was made between 1889 and 1920, but I'm guessing it was around the turn of the century.

P.D. Beckwith was the inventor of the Round Oak stoves (which were made in Dowagiac, MI). He died in 1889 and the company name changed to The Estate of P.D. Beckwith (that sold Round Oak stoves). After his death his name was printed on the stoves which is why I believe that it was made after 1889. I later noticed some dates on the crown, but the only one that I can really make out is the patent date of Dec. 1886. My dad now has the crown at home and is polishing it up so I can gather more information about this stove.

This is the closest picture I can find of what I think is this model (or close to it).

We had a few more tasks to take care of at the farm that day, but I made sure to take some pictures while I was there.

The renters at the farm were really into chimes which was greatly appreciated by Riley.

This randomly placed concrete slab provided a great dance floor for Riley. Please note the large bone on the table in the back. Not sure what animal it came from... and I'm not sure I want to know.

As you can see in the video she even walks over to the bone, touches it, and then tries to discretely put her finger in her mouth. Gross.

Eating lunch on the run.

That's one big mushroom.

I know this isn't the best picture of the farm house, but it captures the chaos of the yard. Usually it is a little more organized, but that doesn't mean there is usually less stuff in the yard.

The 'new' barn.

It was kind of a treat for Riley to ride in the back of Grandpa Frank's pick up as she could look straight out the back window. She seemed pretty fascinated with the view, but was able to get in a 45 minute nap on the way there. On the way home... we got a 10 minute nap, but at least she was either content or playful.


Riley and I were on our own on Monday, but planned to meet Jesse for lunch. Unfortunately, that didn't happen as she slept for almost 3 hours over lunch, but at least she got a good nap in. Otherwise, we had a nice day where we went on a walk, played at the park, had a picnic in the back yard, rode the trike down the sidewalk, and played with the water table. Not a bad day at all.

Actually enjoying the swing.

She loves crawling through the tunnels and remarkably kept that white shirt clean.

Having a picnic with mommy after a long nap (and still keeping my white shirt clean while eating raspberries).

The only downfall I can recall was when I had a dream Sunday night that I went to work on Monday and then realized I wasn't supposed to be there. At least I found relief when I woke on Monday and knew I wasn't going to work. Phew.

One of the highlights of the last few days was when Riley walked up to me at the farm, gave me a hug and then said "thank you". Awe Shucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to see your comments.