Sunday, June 24, 2012

Minnehaha Falls

On Saturday I was going to go to a blogger get together at Minnehaha Park that was organized by a couple of local bloggers. Originally, I was going to bring Riley with me without Jesse as he wasn't too keen on sitting around with a bunch of bloggers and their husbands that he didn't know. However, that morning he changed his tune and seemed pretty hip to checking out Sea Salt for lunch and exploring the falls with Riley. The event ended up getting cancelled (to be rescheduled later), but we decided to go to the park anyway.


Riley seeing the falls for the first time. 





There was a moment when the clouds parted and the sun came out so I brought out the hat and shades, but that sunny moment was short lived.


Riley's favorite part of the park visit was throwing rocks in the water. Over and over and over. I was starting to worry about the ecological balance of the water.


I might have made her dance on this rock.



Unsuccessful self portrait. This kid is always on the go. 


Off to the left were a gazillion people. Even with the threat of rain that morning and an overcast sky it turned out to be a pretty nice day. We showed up around 10:30 which appeared to be just about right to get a decent parking spot. Almost two hours later the cars were circling the lot just to find a space to park. 


I've been wanting to check out Sea Salt Eatery for years. I've heard so many good things about the food. Really good things. So I have to say I was quite disappointed. I had the mahi mahi tacos (meh), Jesse had the red beans and rice (meh), and Riley had the kid's fish and fruit (super greasy - gah). Not only was it not great, but none of it digested very well. I am willing to give it one more shot, but think I will have to get some suggestions of what to get from people who love this place. Or maybe next time I will just get a glass of wine and chill out listening to the waterfall.


Some serious coloring while we waited for our food.


On our way back to the parking lot Riley decided to stop and climb this tree.


Just attempting to get the right footing...


"Can anyone help a girl out?"

Jesse has been to this park before, but now has some renewed interest since he saw how much Riley liked it. In fact, I am pretty sure they will be coming back on Friday during 'Riley and Daddy Friday'. Now I'll just have to convince him to come again when the blogger get together is rescheduled. 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you guys still went! I was SO PISSED when I woke up at like 1am Saturday morning feeling horrible... and continued to be pissed and NOT SLEEPING the entire night. Ugh. And then Annie got hives all over her body. It was a great day all around :)

    Sea Salt is definitely greasy - I've always had the crab cake sandwich, or a po boy, and liked those... and I've also had the oysters and thought those were good (although I'm no oyster afficianado...)

    We really love that park - we go quite frequently. Next time, check out the Wabun Picnic Area right up the hill from Sea Salt - they have an awesome kids water area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a bummer that you guys got sick. Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

      I almost got the crab cake sandwich, but changed my mind at the last minute. I'll give it a try next time.

      It was funny because my husband acted like he'd never really been to this park before (when I know he has) and then he checked it out online and was all excited. He stays home with Riley on Fridays and always tries to go on some sort of field trip like the zoo or the children's museum. When he saw how much Riley liked this he said they would definitely be coming back soon. I will let him know about the water area, but our kid seems to be freaked out to get into water. I sure hope this passes - I really wanted a water baby.

      Delete

Love to see your comments.