Thursday, April 9, 2015

Riley random

I haven't really written a post that was devoted just to Riley stuff in a while. This will be a bit of a dump of all things Riley, but I'd like to get this down to be able to look back on later. I actually started this post long ago and stopped writing mid-story and when I came back to it I couldn't remember the rest of what happened. Meh. I guess I better document these things a little better than I have been.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Riley is very interested in words and while she reads quite well there are still a lot of words she doesn't know. She'll often stop when reading a story to ask us what something means or if she can't quite pronounce it she'll try her best to figure it out. Often, she likes to tell us made up stories and will occasionally include made up words. She'll stop the story and say "do you know what xxxx means?". Of course, we say no (because you can't say yes - never say yes) and then she proceeds to tell us what it means. She does this all the time, but I thought I would try and capture at least a few things she said in a recent story telling. Also, not sure if I even remember the original word she came up with, but you get the idea.

octps means healthy food.

garlinchery means when it snows and then melts really fast

(And this is where I totally forgot the other thing she came up with that was hilarious and super clever so you'll just have to imagine something.)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Riley has been really into writing stories lately. I found an old small unused notebook in the closet recently and gave it to her to write in. She's written multiple stories and has thanked me many, many times for giving her that notebook. She knows how to spell a number of words, but often asks us how to spell other words. We try to get her to sound them out on her own, but she doesn't like to be wrong so she asks sometimes when I know she knows the word. She's also working on her punctuation and likes to add the exclamation point when effect is needed, only she can't seem to remember that it's called an 'exclamation point' and I don't blame her. Instead she calls it a 'shout' - "Mom, I need to put a shout at the end of this sentence". In fact, when I am reading to her she will correct me if I don't yell or aren't excited enough when I read a sentence with an exclamation mark. She's also been creating stories on our computers and the last time she did this she made me add pictures and then print it out. She brought her 'book' to school and read it to her class. That's my book nerd.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Riley did not get into the local Spanish Immersion school. She's actually 68 on the wait list so we aren't holding our breath. It doesn't matter since we really like the other school option and one of her best friends from preschool will be going there too. In fact, we might be dropping Riley off at her friend's house a few days a week before school so we don't have to pay for extra care. Should work out quite nice. We went to the recent Kindergarten 'round up' to register Riley and saw a couple of her other friends from preschool and my co-worker's daughter as well. Riley's quite excited about it, but it will be a big change of schedule so we'll see how it all plays out in September.

Poorly cropped photo... should be "class of 2028". And, whoa, 2028! (shout)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Recently, Riley requested 'wiggly' hair all over so I braided her hair and let her sleep in it. She has super fine hair so I wasn't sure the waves would stay all day, but to her delight they did.



~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Riley was also invited to a Saint Patrick's day party by a school mate where she made a Leprechaun box. I'm sure it's called something else, but this isn't really a holiday I get into so I really don't know. I'd never heard of it before, but it's a cute idea. Basically, you create a box and put it out for St Paddy's day to catch a Leprechaun. Of course, you don't catch him, but he leaves some goodies behind. We were given a pot filled with chocolate coins and other treats... oh and one real coin too.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Riley got to go see Cinderella with grandma and grandpa and was so excited. She loves hanging out with them anytime so it didn't really matter if they went to this movie or not, but it was a bonus. She decided to wear a princess dress naturally, and her princess shoes.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Jesse and I were working on finally getting a curtain on our new deck door. It's all glass and walks right into our bedroom right in front of our closet... where I usually get dressed so I'm super happy to have a curtain again. Anyhoo, one of these days I will show our house updates, but while we were drilling through our new door Riley decided to hang out on the new deck. It was a bit chilly, but she didn't care. She wants to hang out on the new deck as much as I do. She bundled up and then started bringing her furniture out there as she said it was another living room for us and needed furniture. That it does, kiddo. I eventually bundled up and joined her while she read me and some stuffed animals some books




~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I was recently preparing Riley that she needed to get her teeth cleaned. She asked me if they would be all shiny so I assured her they would make her teeth clean and shiny. Then she said "even the front ones?" Well, yeah... oh wait. She was actually asking if she would get caps on her front teeth like she has in the back. So I explained that she would not be (and crossed my fingers that no more teeth issues would show up), but it got me to wondering if any of the kids at her preschool ask her about her teeth. Turns out they do, but not in the way I was afraid of. I worried about her getting teased, but at this age it appears the other kids are just curious and ask things like "can I see your shiny teeth". Huh. Hopefully, they will fall out and be replaced with adult teeth before any teasing begins, but I know it could happen. She did go to the dentist last week and to my great relief everything looks fine with her mouth - no reports of new cavities or anything.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

And I don't really have much to say about the following pictures except that Riley and I were playing together. I was planning on using some of them as my weekly photo project, but I must have forgotten or something so I'm squeezing them in here. Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to see your comments.