Monday, April 16, 2012

Book Review: Frankenstein

Frankenstein Books by Dean Koontz
I haven't written about books in a bit, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been reading. In fact, I just got through the Frankenstein  series by Dean Koontz. This isn't the typical type of book I would read, but Dean Koontz was recommended to me, I needed a book, and this series was on our work bookshelf.

I have to admit it was really, really hard to get into this series especially since I had just finished One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd, but I was determined to give it a try. The series includes:


Frankenstein Book 1: Prodigal Son
Frankenstein Book 2: City of Night
Frankenstein Book 3: Dead and Alive
Frankenstein Book 4: Lost Souls
Frankenstein Book 5: The Dead Town

If you asked me to rate this series after reading book one my rating would have been low. Again, I just read a completely different style of book and this was hard to adjust to. Plus the writing felt sorta formulaic. You can tell this guy churns out the books, but after the first book I determined I would give one more book a try and then give up if it wasn't any better.

Turns out I liked book two a little better. Oh, it still felt like formula writing, some of the story line was a bit cheesy, and it was pretty graphic which could sometimes be scary. In fact, I refused to read any of these right before bed since I have quite the overactive imagination... especially when it's dark. But the thing was the characters started to grow on me and as I proceeded though the end of book five I found myself liking this series mostly because it was really funny. Yes, funny. Koontz does a great job of putting humor in where other authors would have neglected to do so. I mean, this is supposed to be scary stuff folks!

If you would have asked me to rate it early on I would have given it a grade of a C, but the story line was sort of unique and the colorful (humorous) characters won me over. Sure this is no 'classic', but for what it is I'll give it a grade of a B.


Books read since the beginning of 2012:12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to see your comments.